Saturday, January 27, 2007

Trimbur, the classroom, and other social stuff

While 2 of the more heady readings this week focus on the "social" and either its vastness or its specific connection to process, Trimbur reviews 3 texts that fall somewhere in the middle. I spent last semester writing a "historical" paper on Spellmeyer, but hadn't focused a lot on the other authors, however each of them, through the review at least, convey a certain attempt to formalize/define the "social" ness of the classrooms where most of us (as composition teachers) spend our time.

I wonder, then, how Latour's views of the social fit into the way these teacher-theorists conceptualize the society that is their ideal classroom. Spellmeyer, for instance, very clearly sees his classroom as a place for social inquiry and understanding. Again, I buy social construction as well, and see the students as situated in their 'life space" that then interacts with the teacher's and other students' "life spaces" (I'm hating that term and still using it twice) but would Latour say, "Sapriste'!! Stupeed Aaron!"? I'm getting ready to read his introduction ...again...but I'm hoping that someone will clarify for me as well, how his views might apply to these other folks. Faith did a little of this in her, as usual, briliant way, but I want more.

Nighty night.

No comments: