Sunday, March 11, 2007

Electric Bibles and so on...

Mark's post in particular got me thinking about how we view the fundamentalists and apocalptists and such. While I haven't checked his historical background to PROVE that the Christian right affected those movements, I'll buy it, 'cause Mark's a stand up guy. Another stand up fellow, and the focus of my post, would be one of those religious folks we haven't mentioned....Johnny Cash....

If that link works you can enjoy a quiant version of armageddon as he sees it. What's interesting to me, besides the fact that I'm a huge fan, is that I read Crowley and respond with: yep. fundamentalism is NOT the way to go. But then I turn to the Man in Black, and don't really mind that he's been seen hawking the electric bible on QVC in days of yore. It seems as if folks are sharing where they're coming from with this topic, and so here's my bit: raised Lutheran (look penitent) and left it behind, but while on my way to a lack of faith, I DID attend a tent revival, watched them bless the handkerchiefs, heal the infirm, etc.

While I still regard that, as well as much of what Crowley is writing against as something I'm not down with, I would put a good bit of Johnny's "back to the Lord" albums in that same vein...I can't comment on the actual politics behind his views, since I've not considered it until this very moment--talk about cognitive dissonance--but I always pictured him on the side of the poor and beaten down, thus the outfit, right?

No comments: