Friday, April 6, 2007

Just some things....

So far, and before my computer dies....

Vatz could introduce a quote with ANYTHING but "As ______________ says/states/writes" and it wouldn't drive me up the wall.

We SHOULD use nouns as verbs. We should also use "concatenate" a lot, as that really IS what we're called upon to do in virtually every course, paper, or discussion. And finally, "the elements of rhetorical situation simply bleed" (9) is, I think, brilliant. And true.

While I taught "the rhetorical stance" this semester, and I think my students found it helpful, it's still in an elemental form. I also noted that most, if not all the kids in both of my sections hadn't even seen my (crude) version of the sort of triangle system referred to--I think I roughly sketched the "speaker"---"message"---"receiver"---"feedback" loop, when we were discussing Booth's article, but I wonder whether talking about ecologies would have been better?

I guess my thinking, in terms of getting the students to concatenate (anything) is that BOTH might be the way to go. Haven't finished Jenny's piece yet, so maybe she'll tell me. My query to you all then, is what parts of this do you actually use in the classroom/plan to use in the classroom....and for Mark in particular, what sort of schema are they teaching in Comm? While I remember public speaking, it was poorly taught (by the soccer coach at school...d'oh) and althought we got a badly sketched diagram, I wonder what's really going on....

Down to almost no battery at all, gotta get this to post.

Concatenate.

No comments: