Sunday, February 11, 2007

Some quick thoughts

I couldn't figure out how to cohere these, and I'm not sure what to write about. I figured I would leave these holes in the network to perhaps inspire someone else:
  1. Did anyone else notice how, despite the fact that the Berlin's book was published in 2003, he uses a lot of sources from 1970-1990?
  2. Since we haven't read Part Three yet, which according to the Table of Contents describes a practical application of Berlin's ideas, does anyone want to take a crack at predicting what a Berlinian classroom might look like? I'm thinking lots of discussion, group work, learner-centered. What about a Berlinian English department? A Berlinian writing assignment?
  3. What kind of agency do writers have, according to Berlin?

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Hey Faith, I also noticed that he used a lot of sources from years ago. I looked into Richard Larson, and read a piece of his article. I was really interesting, but suprisingly it wasn't cited by anyone I've ever heard of. It surprised me. Anyway, I thought that was interesting, too.

Donna said...

Regarding the old sources in Berlin: the book was originally published in 1996 (see copyright page), two years after Berlin himself died suddenly of a massive heart attack.

Kevin said...

I think in addition to when he was writing this, Berlin was also trying to respond to a certain recent era (the Boom years of Comp/Rhet akin to the Boom Era in the Spanish Novel?) and, at times, chart the history of an error as he takes on process writing, Elbovian leanings, etc. (with some of the landmarks of expressivism arriving between 1970-1990).