Sunday, February 4, 2007

Thoughts on a cognitive map

Writing as self-expression is linked to the romantic idea of the inspired writer (as exemplified in the Phaedrus example and Emerson) which in turn influenced composition studies, leading to the work of Elbow and Flower and Hayes. On the other hand, collaborative writing emerges through what LeFevre terms social resonance, interaction, and the collective. Collaborative writing has been in practice for centuries (example: the Bible), and in many other disciplines, but can lead to plagiarism hysteria.

The map was kind of fun to make, but I'm not sure if I have anything groundbreaking to say about it. Basically, I put sticky notes in the book whenever I encountered a source that I'd either read or a subject I knew about, then I tried to plug them all into the map. Here are some thoughts:
It's a lot easier to summarize the book from looking at a mind map rather than reading my notes.
I think cognitive maps are useful for thinking about how you think about something. My cognitive map shows that when I'd been reading this book, I'd sort of been thinking of LeFevre's argument as a dichotomy between writing as self-expression and writing as collaborative, even though I know it's more nuanced than that. This is interesting because LeFevre specifically says that this kind of thinking is an “unhelpful opposition.” I also sort of dropped the idea of “invention” specifically, and had been thinking more about the social nature of writing as a whole. So for example, if you had students make a cognitive map of assigned reading, it would be a lot easier to see where they're going wrong.
It's harder to BS in a mind map, because you have to be so concise and because you have to think about how things are related to each other.
My mind map showed me that there is plenty of precedent for collaborative writing. Why are compositionists the last ones to get on board? I wonder if it has to do with the fact that we don't have an infrastructure, for ourselves and for our students, to evaluate or reward it. To what degree has composition accepted writing as a social act in the 20 years since this book? If I had to guess, I'd say very little, especially with the plagiarism hysteria present in today's society.

1 comment:

Chad Parmenter said...

Great thoughts, Faith. The mind map has been making a lot of sense to me, too. I've found myself thinking in terms of it as I've been reading; haven't yet taken the bold step of making the boxes and drawing the lines, but it seems like a great way to represent connectivity.